Responses to: Thoughts/?s re: cryptorchid ponies

cryporchidThese are replies to my original post.

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:36:57 PM » CH

Well, I did read it all, and unfortunately, don’t have answers for you.

I don’t know how it’s inherited. I’ve heard direct inheritance from sire, and I’ve heard carried through the mare line, I just don’t know and I’m not sure vets know either.

If you can find one, I think I’d have an old school vet take a look at your suspected crypt stallions in the spring when they are most likely to be proud of their jewels and have them down, and not tucked up tight waiting on winter.   [Perhaps have the one colt looked at sooner, and perhaps save him.   I’ve heard of hormone therapy of some sort working to help testicles drop, but I don’t recall details or if I even heard it right.]   My FIL gelds his own (or did when he was younger and able), and he had a few suspected crypts that when thrown and turned upside down did pop up the missing testicle. I recall him telling about one, that he wasn’t strong enough to hold onto the testicle and get it cut, the muscle or whatever that pulls them up was that strong; he had help and he got it done (one guy held on and the other cut).    I do know that they can run testosterone tests on questionable stallions and see if their levels are above normal.

With the acceptance of minis dropping late, I don’t see the registrations being that worried about crypts siring foals.  Know show stallions have them checked, and those might get theirs revoked as an official would be checking them at shows; but many unshown stallions sire foals, and they aren’t often seen by anyone that would turn them in as crypts.  [To be honest, I don’t go around looking at testicles when I’m looking at horses; unless I’m looking specifically for a stallion prospect, so I probably wouldn’t notice if a stallion wasn’t dropped.]

Spotty had two loud and proud when he was born and for a few weeks at least; this morning when I trimmed Tana’s hooves, I took a look at Spotty’s and looked and didn’t see his, but I did have his leg lifted so could have made a difference in how they appeared.

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:58:57 AM » DW

I’ve read the whole report too.  The registration is not an issue, the miniature registries do not revoke for crypt problems. Unfortunately, I’m not much help here, as I’ve never had a crypt stallion, nor any problems with this, and actually never had a stallion gelded here.

I’ll be watching this with interest, and wonder if Anna can help us here?

I’ve heard it comes from the sire, and those that say the mare, but don’t really know the answer.  The one thing I can say, is that I, too, would recommend an old school vet if you can find one.  I know a couple of people who were told “crypt” who once the stallion was flipped, low and behold, the old vet found both!  Saved a fortune in surgery costs.

Headed for work, but I’ll be back to read this evening.

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 11:33:17 AM » HOL

I know some ponies can take a long time to fully drop, Had a friend with one take n2-3 years to drop fully and mature ( size wise ) ( miniature stallion, went on to produce with no issues) But alas I am also unable to answer more than that.

I will point you in the best direction I know of …. Equine Reproduction,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/EquineRepro/   ( Jos Mottershead)

(I did check out this FB page and some of what it had to say <not much>, was quite interesting and I draw the conclusion that most vets disagree on this subject – which is what I’d run into when I talked to the vets at NCSU)

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »DW

Holly, you are right.  I’ve heard of some miniature stallions taking up to 3 years to fully drop.  So, just hoping he gets things moving “down” !!

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:24:53 PM » RY

My little guy took three years to fully drop. He is now an 8yo and one of his jewels sits slightly higher than the other.

I’m really interested in what you can find out Paula :)

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:07:47 AM » AN

Sorry folks, but I cant help with this situation.  Never had any ‘problems’ of this sort with the boys we have bred.  However most of our colt foals have been sold before their second birthdays so have probably/certainly been gelded in their new homes.  Those that we have kept have developed normally, some taking longer than others.  I think that you might be advised to leave your younger boy until well into next summer Paula to show what he is hiding, maybe thinking about gelding next Autumn instead of early next Spring (as he seems to have such an easy going nature)?  Good luck with whatever you decide.  :D

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:34:55 PM » ME – Paula Hoffman as PaintPonyLvr

Thank you for all who read my frustrating tale!  It’s discouraging, to say the least – especially when we’ve had so many things happen since we’ve moved into this new property.

Thank you also – we may wait on Riddler longer next summer to see how he does.  Right now, he’s certainly not a problem and he’s running with the boys in the boys pasture (w/ a small arab mare, too).

There were no male vet students, no male techs around and all of the young ladies quite fell in love with Riddler!  It was hilarious, made for a better day, LOL.

Advertisements

About lppaintedponys

Husband and wife team raising shetland ponies, rescuing dogs/cats & becoming self sufficient.
This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.